Piccadilly Circus Square in London
Circus Square is a lively square in the heart of London. It is known for its nineteenth-century fountain and neon signs that turned the square into a miniature version of Times Square. Piccadilly Circus is located at the crossroads of five major roads: Regent Street, Shaftesbury Avenue, Piccadilly Street, Covent Street and Haymarket. This site was created by John Nash, as part of King George IV’s future plan to connect Carlton’s House with Regents Park.
Piccadilly Advertising Billboards
With the creation of Shaftesbury Avenue in 1885, the area turned into a busy transport hub. This made Piccadilly attractive to advertisers who installed here the first London illuminated billboards. For some time the square was surrounded by billboards on all sides, like the London version of Times Square. But currently only one building still houses large billboards.
Shaftsbury Memorial Fountain
The Shaftsbury Memorial Fountain is located in the center of the square. It was built in 1893 in memory of the famous philanthropist Lord Shaftesbury, who was famous for supporting the poor. The half-naked statue on top of the fountain depicts the Angel of Christian Charity, although it was later renamed after the Greek god of love and beauty Eros. The fountain was built in bronze, but the statue is made of aluminum. At the time, it was a new and rare material.
The name ‘Piccadilly’ comes from the fashionable collar of the same name in the seventeenth century. Roger Baker, a tailor working in this field, became rich thanks to his creation. The word ‘Serkus’ refers to the ring through which traffic circulates. Today Piccadilly Square is partially pedestrian. This is a favorite gathering place for people before going hiking in the nearby shopping and entertainment area. Soho, Chinatown, Leicester Square and Trafalgar Square with popular London attractions are within walking distance.